Toffee to Die For
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 - 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Natural salt flakes
- Chopped almonds (optional)
- Place your deep flexiflat on a perforated baking sheet. If using nuts, spread nuts out on the deep flexiflat before you start making the toffee.
- In your stainless sauté pan, cook butter, sugar, salt and vanilla over medium heat until combined. Turn to high and stir constantly to HARD CRACK (see below).
- Immediately pour over nuts. Sprinkle chocolate chips on top and spread chocolate when melted. Sprinkle with natural salt flakes. Let cool to set. Break into pieces. Enjoy!
HARD CRACK – I’ve found the best method for testing if candy is at the hard crack stage is to have a mug of ice water next to your pan. When the color seems right (toffee brown) you drop a little of the hot mixture into the ice water and instantly it becomes cool enough to touch. If it cracks easily (is not soft/chewy) then it is perfect!