Lemon Drop Cupcakes
- 1 cup butter at room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp grated lemon peel
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups plain Greek yogurt (or sour cream)
Lemon Vodka Frosting:
- 8 tbsp butter at room temperature
- 5-6 cups confectioners' sugar (start with 5 cups and add more if it needs to be thicker)
- 4 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 - 3 tsp grated lemon peel I actually used more like 3 teaspoons)
- 2 1/2 tbsp vodka
- Preheat oven to 350°F degrees. Place Flexipan tray of choice on your perforated baking sheet and set aside.
- First place the sugar and lemon peel into your mixing bowl. Rub the lemon and sugar in your fingers for a few minutes to infuse the lemon into the sugar. Next cream together the butter and the lemon sugar. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Make sure you scrape down the sides of the bowl with your heat resistant spatula. Add vanilla and mix well.
- In another bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add some of the dry ingredients in the mixing bowl and mix until just incorporated. Next add a portion of the yogurt and mix. Keep alternating between the dry ingredients and the yogurt until everything is incorporated. The batter will be fairly thick. Fill each shape your Flexipan tray about 2/3 full.
- Bake for approximately 20-25 minutes (20 minutes for smaller trays, 25 minutes for larger muffin trays). Use a toothpick to ensure they are done. Let cool before removing from Flexipan. Cool completely before frosting with the Lemon Vodka Frosting.
Lemon Vodka Frosting:
- Cream together butter and sugar. Add lemon juice, vanilla, lemon peel and vodka; beat until smooth. Add more powdered sugar if the icing is too thin and add more vodka if it’s too thick. Make sure to only add a little bit at a time.
- I used the large star tip from our set of four pastry tips and our pastry bag. Place the tip into the pastry bag, place bag in your pastry bag stand while you fill the bag. Frost each cooled cupcake with the frosting!
- Top with either a candy lemon drop of candied lemon peel. I like to grate extra lemon peel and toss with vanilla sugar while the cupcakes bake. When they are ready to be frosted, the lemon peel is ready to decorate with. ENJOY!!!!