Caramel Apple Cupcakes
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temp
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 cup chopped apples (finely chopped with Eco Chop)
Ingredients for Caramel Frosting
- 1 1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temp
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 4-6 tbsp caramel sauce (homemade or store bought)
- pinch of cinnamon
- extra caramel sauce for drizzle
- apple slices (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F degrees. Place Square Savarin Tray on Perforated Baking Sheet. and the Mini Cake Mold or Small Round Mold for extra batter. You can also use a Straight Muffin Tray for a traditional cupcake.
- In Stainless Mixing Bowl, combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. In your stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream together well (approx. 3-4 minutes) butter, oil and sugars until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and sour cream and mix until combined. Add eggs one at a time and scape the bowl with your Heat Resistant Spatula down as needed.
- Add dry ingredients and milk alternating the two ( ½ of the dry, ½ of the milk and repeat) and mix until well combined, but be careful not to overmix. Fold in the apples with your Heat Resistant Spatula.
- Using your Mini Ladle, fill each muffin shape approx. ¾ full and bake 18-20 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool completely before removing from your Flexipan Tray.
- Using your stand mixer, cream butter with the paddle attachment. Add 2 cups of the powdered sugar and a pinch of cinnamon and blend until smooth. Add 4 tbsp caramel sauce and blend until combined. Add the remaining powdered sugar and blend until smooth. Add more caramel sauce if needed to reach the best consistency for piping with your Pastry Bag.
- Using your large star tip placed in the Pastry Bag, fill your Pastry Bag with frosting and decorate each cupcake. Top with an apple slice and a drizzle of caramel sauce.
Click HERE for homemade caramel sauce recipe.