The love is real! Baked ham and cheese with creamy Bechamel oozing with each bite!
- 8 slices thick country style bread
- 8 slices of ham
- 1 1/2 cups grated Gruyere cheese
- 1 tsp FRENCH PANTRY Herbs de Provence Herb Blend
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 tbsp FRENCH PANTRY Bordeaux Wild Pepper Mustard
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated or ground nutmeg
- FRENCH PANTRY Sel Gris Salt
- Preheat oven to 425°F degrees and place a Medium Bonmat on a Medium Perforated Baking Sheet and set aside.
Prepare Bechamel easily on your stovetop:
- Place butter, flour and milk in your saucepan over medium heat. Stir continuously until sauce is smooth and thickened. Once sauce is thick (approx. 5-7 minutes), remove from heat and whisk in mustard & nutmeg. Taste and add salt as needed. The Bechamel can be made ahead of time and cooled in the fridge for up to one day.
To assemble the sandwiches:
- Place 4 bread slices on the Bonmat and spread generously with ½ of the Bechamel. Reserve the other ½ for the next step. Layer ham and ½ of the cheese on top of the Bechamel.
- Top each sandwich with a second piece of bread and spread Bechamel on top of that slice of bread. Top Bechamel with remaining cheese and sprinkle each sandwich with herb blend.
- Bake 12-15 minutes until cheese is lightly browned and bubbling.