Pumpkin Donuts with Maple Brown Butter Glaze
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 cup buttermilk (see tip below)
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup butter. melted
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tbsp milk
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F degrees. Place Flexipat Donut Tray on Perforated Baking Sheet and set aside.
- In Stainless Mixing Bowl, combine flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, salt and baking soda. In a second Stainless Mixing Bowl, whisk together buttermilk, eggs, butter, brown sugar, pumpkin and vanilla until well combined. Add flour to pumpkin mixture and stir until just combined.
- Using the large round tip in your pastry bag, fill pastry bag with batter. Pipe donut batter into each donut shape, filling the well approximately 1/2-2/3 full. Once all wells are full, tap the bottom of the baking sheet to level the donuts and make sure they are fairly equal in size. You will have a little extra batter you can put in your mini round mold as a taster if you choose.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes until cooked through. You can test with the toothpick test and you'll know they are done when the toothpick comes out clean. You can also touch the top of the donut and when it bounces back, it's ready. Let cool completely before unmolding. While cooling, make the glaze!
To make the glaze:
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat until lightly browned (about 7minutes).
- Remove from heat and whisk in brown sugar, milk, maple syrup and pumpkin pie spice until smooth.
- Return to heat and cook on low until simmering (about 1 minute). Remove from heat and whisk in powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth.
- Once donuts are cooled, pop out of mold and dip in hot glaze. The glaze will thicken as it cools and become more difficult to dip so be prepared to dip quickly. If needed, gently spread glaze with Mini Offset Spatula. Place donuts on a wire cooling rack or Roul'pat to set.
- These donuts are best enjoyed the day you make them!
- *bonTip for buttermilk: You can make any milk into buttermilk by adding 1 teaspoon of lemon juice or vinegar to the milk and letting it sit for 5 minutes before using in your recipe.