For the Cake:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup pure pumpkin puree
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Dusting of powdered sugar
For the Cream Cheese Filling:
- 12 oz softened cream cheese
- 1 stick softened unsalted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F, set Fleximat on Perforated Baking Sheet and set aside.
- In mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- Next, add in the eggs, sugar, pumpkin puree, and vanilla extract and whisk until it is completely combined and smooth.
- Pour batter into Fleximat and spread batter to fill pan evenly. You can also tap the bottom of your baking sheet to make sure the batter is level in the pan.
- Bake for15 to 17 minutes or until the top is lightly browned and when you touch the top of the cake, the cake bounces back and does not leave a fingerprint. Do not overcook.
- While the cake is baking, lightly sift powdered sugar on your Medium Bonmat.
- When the cake is done baking, right away invert it onto the Bonmat and immediately roll it up with the Bonmat.
- Cool the cake completely while making sure it stays rolled and the seam side is facing down on your counter or cooling rack.
- While the cake is cooling, make your cream cheese frosting.
- Add the cream cheese, butter, and vanilla extract to a stand mixer with the paddle attachment or use a hand mixer to whip until light and fluffy. Start on low to combine and then switch to high speed for approx. 4 to 5 minutes. Slowly add the powdered sugar and mix on low until combined. Once combined, mix on medium for an additional 2 minutes to whip the frosting.
- Once the cake is completely cooled, (at least 2 hours but I like to make mine the day before and cool overnight) unroll the pumpkin cake and Bonmat. Then evenly spread the cream cheese filling on the cake. I like to put my cream cheese frosting in my pastry bag to fill the center of the roll and to decorate the ends and top of the rolled cake before serving.
- You can make the cake roll the day before and fill the next day.
- You can also make the entire roll several days ahead of time, wrap in plastic wrap to keep fresh and keep the shape and serve within 4 days if you store it in the refrigerator.
- You can also freeze the entire roll for up to 2 months if it is wrapped well. For the best results, thaw in the refrigerator for 1 full day before serving.